Can shoplifting get me arrested in Baton Rouge? What are the penalties for shoplifting in Louisiana? Do I need a lawyer? Everything you need to know.
Lots of people think shoplifting is such a common crime and shouldn’t have any serious charge attached to it for various reasons. But there is more to it than that. Shoplifting is taken very seriously and if you get arrested for it, not only could you face getting a hefty fine but you also stand a chance of facing imprisonment (depending on what was lifted) and that’s not all. Arrest and conviction would also be stated on your record which can come with a lot of impact on your future. It can make you lose your job, harder to find a job, lose a scholarship, etc.
Under Louisiana law, this crime is classified as a theft. This is the taking of a valuable item from another party without their consent. A very essential part of a situation being considered as theft is the intention of depriving the other party permanently of the benefits they get from what was taken. That goes to say that shoplifting is the collection of an item without consent of a seller or merchant with a motive of keeping such item and depriving the seller of an opportunity to make a sale or make use of the item.
The penalties attached for shoplifting usually depends on the value of the item that had been taken.
· If the alleged stolen goods are worth less than $1000 dollars with no prior shoplifting convictions: If a person steals goods worth less than $1000 and has no previous shoplifting history, he/she may either pay a fine of $1000 and/or spend 6 months in jail.
· If the alleged stolen goods are worth $1000 dollars or more but less than $5000 with no prior shoplifting case: if a person shoplifts goods worth $1000 or more but less than $5000 and has had no prior shoplifting cases, he/she may be looking at either pay a fine of $1000 and/or spend up to two years in jail. This is a felony.
· When the alleged value of goods amounts to a value of $5000 dollars or more, but less than a value of $25,000 dollars, the offender shall be imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not more than 10 years, or may be fined not more than ten thousand dollars, or both.
· If the alleged goods amount to a value of $25,000 dollars or more, the defendant shall be imprisoned at hard labor for not more than 20 years, or may be fined not more than fifty thousand dollars, or both.
· If the amount is less than $1000 but the defendant has two prior theft convictions, the third becomes a felony punishable by two years in prison.
· Value is added up: When there has been a misappropriation or taking by a multiple separate acts of the defendant, the total of the amount of the thefts shall determine the grade of the offense.
This goes to prove that shoplifting, as minor as it might seem to you, is taken seriously by the law and the penalties attached are not something that should be taken lightly. Lots of people think they can go away with it easily but they realize how terribly mistaken they have been after they have been arrested. You do not want to be that person who has a criminal record to their names just because they did something wrong and even worse when they could have made it right. This is where hiring a lawyer comes in.
If you or your family member is being faced with charges such as shoplifting in Baton Rouge Louisiana, the need for a criminal defense attorney cannot be overemphasized. Getting a criminal defense attorney is a great way to not just get the best advice on how to navigate the entire legal system but also how to get the best outcome possible without having to receive the shorter end of the stick.
Shoplifting as an act is considered by a lot of people to be a petty crime and therefore they don’t feel the need to hire a lawyer. It is without a doubt that it is a pretty common crime and people engage in it more often than a lot of crimes you see out there but that doesn’t mean the consequences associated with it are not harsh. In a state such as Louisiana, shoplifting is taken very seriously and persons who commit such a crime will have a criminal record that can haunt you in many years to come.
If you or your loved one has been accused of shoplifting, retail theft, or any theft of goods in Baton Rouge, it is very important to know the penalties this can lead to and that is why you need a lawyer. You also should never understand the consequences which can befall you in a situation like this.
When you get accused of a case like shoplifting, do not panic but instead remain calm and remember to take any accusations as seriously as you would take murder. If this accusation comes while you’re in a store, understand there are rights by the shop keeper to detain you while you all wait for the police. It is best to stay calm and comply to all the reasonable demands presented to you. You must understand that everyone is subject go any criminal accusations till proven innocent so don’t cause a fight and make matters worse. When you remain calm and collected, you can start planning your defense and a great way is no other than calling a criminal defense attorney.
Here at Carl Barkemeyer, criminal defense attorney, we follow up your case immediately you ensure you get the better sentence possible that you can get on your own. We begin working on your case immediately you call and work hand in hand with an investigative team to get you the best defense we possibly can.
We understand just how difficult it can be to have a criminal record and can file for it to be expunged from your record. Criminal records come with a lot of hassle and can limit a person in so many ways. We provide you the best defense attorney in the court of law in your favor.
When you get arrested, it is best to call us almost immediately to avoid the delay. Saying anything that can implicate you farther is not advised and asking for your Baton Rouge theft lawyer before you speak is the best option to take. In a situation such as shoplifting, it should never be taken lightly by you as it is not by the law. So, if you find yourself in a situation such as shoplifting in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and you need the best Baton Rouge criminal defense attorney, contact us today.
H. Taylor - Baton Rouge, Louisiana