Disturbing the Peace Lawyer in Livingston Parish, Louisiana


Because Louisiana is known as such a party place including all the festivals and fairs, many people every year are charged with disturbing the peace, usually due to acting in a fistic manner or acting intoxicated in public. It is common to see these charges outside of bars or outside of house parties and the like. Usually, people have been drinking or taking part in drugs and then head out onto the streets for even more fun or just to get home. However, this can cause problems if you are behaving erratically in public and disturbing the peace of those around you which is usually the case.


Have you recently been charged with disturbing the peace in Livingston Parish or Denham Springs, Louisiana? Carl Barkemeyer, criminal defense attorney is here to help. Mr. Barkemeyer has been defending cases of disturbing the peace for many years and is very knowledgeable when it comes to the Louisiana court system. Disturbing the peace is considered a misdemeanor in Louisiana so it is not as severe as a felony. However, don’t let this fool you. The punishments for it can still cause a negative impact in your future or the future of your loved ones if you are convicted of disturbing the peace in Livingston Parish area of Louisiana.


What is disturbing the peace?


Disturbing the peace can have a wide range of meanings when it comes to Louisiana state law. You could be charged for just one or a combination of the following that leads to a disturbing the peace case:


A. Disturbing the peace is the doing of any of the following in such manner as would foreseeably disturb or alarm the public:

(1) Engaging in a fistic encounter; or

(2) Addressing any offensive, derisive, or annoying words to any other person who is lawfully in any street, or other public place; or call him by any offensive or derisive name, or make any noise or exclamation in his presence and hearing with the intent to deride, offend, or annoy him, or to prevent him from pursuing his lawful business, occupation, or duty; or

(3) Appearing in an intoxicated condition; or

(4) Engaging in any act in a violent and tumultuous manner by any three or more persons; or

(5) Holding of an unlawful assembly; or

(6) Interruption of any lawful assembly of people; or

(7) Intentionally engaging in any act or any utterance, gesture, or display designed to disrupt a funeral, funeral home viewing, funeral procession, wake, memorial service, or burial of a deceased person.

(8) Intentionally blocking, impeding, inhibiting, or in any other manner obstructing or interfering with access into or from any building or parking lot of a building in which a funeral, wake, memorial service, or burial is being conducted, or any burial plot or the parking lot of the cemetery in which a funeral, wake, memorial service, or burial is being conducted.


As you can see, there are many different variations of disturbing the peace, all of which can be construed or interpreted in different ways, depending on the situation and the discretion of the arresting officer at the time. However, this can potentially prove useful since it allows for more freedom in defending the case because parts of the law can be interpreted differently by different people. Because of this, it is highly recommended that you seek legal advice immediately after being charged with a misdemeanor count of disturbing the peace.


What are the punishments?


Since disturbing the peace is always considered a misdemeanor and never a felony (no matter the reason behind the charge), its punishments aren’t as strict or severe as another charge like assault which can physically or emotionally impair another person. Being charged with disturbing the peace is punishable by jail time of 90 days all the way up to six months, depending on the provision by which the defendant was convicted. Even though it is considered a misdemeanor, these punishments can still cause unforeseen difficulties and hardships in the future for both you and your loved ones. Having jail time on your criminal record can negatively affect your ability to get a job, go to school, or even see your family members. For these reasons, legal advice from Carl Barkemeyer is highly recommended.


How can we help?


The first and most important way we can help is by fighting for your case in court. Since disturbing the peace charges are usually based off eyewitness accounts and the arresting officer’s observations, an experienced lawyer like Carl Barkemeyer can help to prove these observations as forced or incorrect. The officer must prove that you were in fact disturbing the peace by determining that you were acting in a fistic manner, acting intoxicated, or another set of actions. These actions can be hard to prove by an arresting officer, which helps your case by allowing us to fight that the opposite was true and you were in fact not disturbing the peace.


Contacting the offices of Carl Barkemeyer right away will help your case drastically because we can start to draft a plan in which your case is dismissed or your punishments are greatly reduced. Mr. Barkemeyer has loads of experience defending clients in disturbing the peace cases and will help fight for your rights so that your future isn’t negatively impacted by the charge. Facing jail time for a disturbing the peace charge can be frightening and stressful due to the side effects that it brings. If you have recently been charged with disturbing the peace in Livingston Parish or Denham Springs, give us a call at (225) 964-6720 so that we can discuss representation and help you fight your case in court.

"Great attorney - very detailed and knowledgeable.
I will recommend him to anyone and if needed I'd consult with him again.!"